Monday, February 3, 2014

My Favorite Writing


My favorite writing piece would have to be the poem “A Dream Deferred” by Langston Hughes. Langston Hughes was a writer and activist during the Harlem Renaissance, a time in which African Americans were overcoming oppression. The poem is one I always go back to during trying times in my life. I like to reflect on the history and how far I have come since my first time reading it in the 8th grade. I’ve used it as motivation to prevent procrastination and self-defeat. I don’t enjoy reading long drawn out poems and novels. I’d much rather read short stories and poems like “A Dream Deferred” because they are short and sweet yet have a huge message that can relate to almost anyone.

The tone of the poem seems relaxed almost as if the author was able to read your thoughts and place it on paper for you to read and analyze. The style and questions expressed throughout the poem allows the reader to really consider what it is they are doing by not acting on a dream. I love the imagery used in every line. “Does it stink like rotten meat?” (Hughes, line 3). Everyone can imagine what rotten meat smells like, so this quote draws in the reader and plays with his or her sense of smell. Hughes does a great job at expressing the physical effects of pushing off dreams that one should strive to achieve.  


A Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up 
like a raisin in the sun? 
Or fester like a sore-- 
And then run? 
Does it stink like rotten meat? 
Or crust and sugar over-- 
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags 
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
Cswnet.com. 2014. A Dream Deferred (by Langston Hughes). [online] Available at: http://www.cswnet.com/~menamc/langston.htm [Accessed: 1 Feb 2014].

1 comment: